By Sandy Wisdom-Martin
Executive director-treasurer, National WMU
I am sometimes asked, “What do you envision for the future of WMU?” The landscape transitions moment by moment. I often feel unsettled by the terrain that shifts constantly beneath our feet.
In spite of the changes swirling around us at a dizzying pace, we can be confident about the future God has for us. How? By understanding our mission matters most.
Our unwavering focus is to make disciples of Jesus who live on mission. When we live with this singular conviction, clarity emerges even in the midst of chaos.
We have a long heritage of faithful Christ followers committed to the mission:
- At the head of Betty’s casket was a missions offering basket, her final act to call church members to generosity for missions.
- Through a WMU missions discipleship group, 6-year-old Alice learned about a little boy in Nigeria who had never heard about God’s love. That story changed the trajectory of her life.
- Cindy’s life was turned from despair to hope when her Christian Women’s Job Corps mentor helped her see her worth in God’s eyes.
- Long before Andrew became a commercial pilot, he took the preschoolers of his church on weekly adventures to learn about God’s work in the world.
- June learned about Literacy, her life ministry, at a WMU conference.
- Brooklyn is on the mission field because she was impacted by a WMU missions mentor.
- Bobby found God’s purpose for his life through a ministry helping a recovering alcoholic and estranged father learn to love his children.
- Pigtailed Judy sat on the mission leader’s floor. After the missionary from China spoke she went home to tell her mother, “God wants me to be a missionary.”
The WMU Vision Fund enables us to proclaim into the future, the mission matters most. We will continue to make disciples of Jesus who live on mission.
Through WMU Compassion Ministries, Leadership Development and Missions Discipleship, we will equip, empower and enable the Betty, Alice, Cindy, Andrew, June, Brooklyn, Bobby and Judy of our generation to take their place in God’s plan.
National WMU has a Kingdom impact in every state and 39 countries. Our desire is that peoples of the earth would have the opportunity to hear and respond to the gospel.
Visit wmu.com to learn how you can be involved in the ministry of WMU.